Former British TV presenter John Leslie has been charged with sexually assaulting a 30-year-old woman more than a decade ago.
The 54-year-old Leslie rose to prominence in the late 1980s, presenting shows such as Blue Peter, Wheel of Fortune, and This Morning. According to Scotland Yard, Leslie has been charged with one count of sexual touching of a woman in 2008 and is set to appear in Westminster Magistrates’ Court on July 25.
Leslie has denied the veracity of the woman’s claim, telling the Independent, “I am totally innocent of the historic allegation and will be contesting the trial.”
According to the charge, the TV presenter “intentionally touched a woman aged 16 or over, and the touching was sexual when she did not consent and [Leslie] did not reasonably believe she was consenting.”
Two indecent assault charges against Leslie were dropped by British prosecutors in 2003 after he was accused of attacking a woman twice in 1997. Prosecutors said at the time that they had “come into possession of further material that has led to the charges against the defendant being reviewed.”
Leslie was one of the presenters of the long-running children’s show Blue Peter in 1989, a role he held until 1994.
- Manchester Arena attack: Bomber’s brother appears in court - July 18, 2019
- Is the customer always right? Trump bashes Facebook but is its top advertising client - July 18, 2019
- SAD: AOC Says ‘Communist’ Is ‘Smear’ Against Civil Rights Pioneers - July 18, 2019
- The United Nations Agendas: A Totalitarian Map - July 18, 2019
- Fed-up Puerto Ricans March Demanding Governor Resign - July 18, 2019