Variety Magazine Cancels Annual Emmy Awards Party, Donates the Money to Planned Parenthood Instead
Variety has cancelled their annual Emmy Awards party and will instead be donating the money they would have spent on it to Planned Parenthood.
The magazine announced their decision one day after Planned Parenthood announced that they will not comply with new rules for Title IX federal funding and would thus be losing the $60 million a year that they were raking in. Under the new policy, organizations who accept federal family planning grants cannot directly provide patients with abortion referrals.
“Variety continues to advocate for women’s rights, including issues of healthcare and gender disparity in the entertainment industry, and we stand with Planned Parenthood and our longstanding partnership with Women In Film,” Variety editor-in-chief Claudia Eller and group publisher and chief revenue officer Michelle Sobrino-Stearns said in a statement published to their website.
The magazine was set to host the Emmy Awards nominees party with Women In Film, an organization that “advocates for and advances the careers of women working in the screen industries—to achieve parity and transform culture,” according to their website.
“We are so grateful to Variety for its unwavering support of Planned Parenthood and commitment to sexual and reproductive health and rights,” Caren Spruch, director, arts and entertainment engagement, Planned Parenthood Federation of America, told Variety.
- Media Is “Sick” For Speculating About My Health - November 20, 2019
- Official Monero website is hacked to deliver currency-stealing malware - November 20, 2019
- Gannett Looks to Spare Journalists’ Jobs After Big Newspaper Merger - November 20, 2019
- WOW. Lt. Col. Vindman Required Rep. Nunes Call Him By His Military Rank Because Twitter Was Mean to Him (VIDEO) - November 19, 2019
- Alien life could be more common than previously thought - November 19, 2019